Sound sleep is essential for the overall wellness of one's physical and mental health. A good night's sleep helps you wake up with a fresh mind, making you stay vibrant, happy and focused throughout the day, making your sleep quality an important factor for a healthy life.
According to CDC research, 1 in 3 adults don't get enough sleep. It is the reason why many of us have to force ourselves to get out of bed the next day. For many reasons, it can even ruin our entire day. An adult needs 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep to maintain good health. Any sleep less than this in a day is considered insufficient.
Factors that aid in getting good sleep
Over the years, we have seen that people have started sleeping less. Factors including stress, workload, personal issues and conflicts prevent one from falling asleep. Doctors say that sleeplessness in adults can affect your brain function and even your hormones. You will be surprised to know that 'Insomnia' and 'can't sleep' were the most searched terms in April 2020. A lot of people also searched for tips to sleep better at night on Google. It made Google introduce a bedtime feature for people who were struggling with sleep issues.Here are some tips to foster good sleep habits:
Create a sleep pattern
- A consistent sleeping pattern can help you overcome insomnia. Create a routine and make sure you go to bed every day at the same time. Gradually your body clock will start giving you signals to sleep at a fixed time every night.
Create a no screen zone
- It has rather become a habit for many people to go to bed with their mobile phones and then stay awake for hours watching movies or mindlessly scrolling. Such a habit directly affects your sleep, resulting in insomnia or poor sleep quality. Make sure you don’t look at screens 30-60 minutes before going to bed.
A comfortable bed
- Wondering how a bed helps in getting good sleep? The National Sleep Foundation has stated that sleeping on a mattress and a pillow that are supportive can help get a good night's sleep. Hence, it is smart to invest in a mattress designed to offer great comfort and personalized support.
- Your eating habits significantly impact your sleep. Some foods can ruin your sleep, while some help you in falling asleep quickly. Include a lot of green veggies and fruits in your diet. It not only makes you healthy, but it also helps you get better sleep. Make sure you have your dinner at least 3 hours before bedtime every day. It helps with proper digestion and a night of uninterrupted sleep.
- Prefer a low carb meal at night - It is always advised by doctors to keep your dinner light. It is because a heavy dinner can break your sleep and impact your hormones too! Consume a low carb diet during the night.
Set the right room temperature
- No matter how sleepy you are, it can disturb your sleep if your bedroom is too hot or cold. The National Sleep Foundation recommends a bedroom temperature of 60–67°F (16–19ºC) to promote sleep. It can vary depending on your geographical location. So do set the temperature as per your comfort before going to bed.
Sleep position is important
- It is good if you can find a comfortable sleep position. Changing your sleep positions can interrupt your sleep. But, once you find the right position, you will have a peaceful sleep throughout the night.
Take a shower
- It is good if you take a hot shower couple of hours before going to bed. It can soothe your body and help signal your body to fall asleep quickly.
Play relaxing music
- Music is a kind of therapy that can heal your mind. When it comes to sleep, listening to soothing music before going to bed can help you sleep better. It will make you feel lighter and is a relaxing bedtime routine to follow.
- Exercise Regularly - Only a healthy mind and body can enjoy a good sleep. Breathing exercise and fitness exercises should be practiced to get a good amount of sleep in the night. These exercises also help in preventing body stiffness.
- Read a book - Reading a book before going to bed can help you fall asleep faster as it relaxes your mind.
How can a good mattress help you get good sleep?
Like many other factors, a good mattress and pillow are also quintessential for good sleep. According to a survey conducted by the National Sleep Foundation, 92% of the respondents said a comfortable mattress is necessary for a good night's sleep. The prime function is to provide equal amount of support to every part of the body. It will help you feel well-rested both physically and mentally. If you do not change your mattress every eight years, there will be a risk of allergies, orthopedic injuries and breathing problems.
Research shows that your sleep medium plays a vital role in determining the quality of your sleep. It means sleeping on a medium-firm mattress can promote comfort and provide proper alignment of the spinal cord giving personalized support, thus enhancing quality sleep. Such mattresses can lower back pain issues, thus helping you sleep better. If your mattress gives you body pain, it is one of the prime causes of your sleeplessness. Changing the mattress and switching to a good doctor-recommended orthopedic mattress is a smart approach.
There are different types of mattresses available in the market that offer various health benefits and different kinds of support and comfort. Some are meant to ease back pain, while some are used for arthritis or neck pain. Depending on your comfort, you can choose the right mattress for you. The right mattress provides equal support to your back and helps you enjoy a night of deep and restorative sleep. You must also ensure that you use the right pillow. Change your pillow if it is not comfortable or too old.
Never compromise the comfort of your sleep. Hear what your body says and adapt to the personal preferences to enjoy uninterrupted sleep.
Dos & Don'ts before going to bed
Here is a quick summary of dos and don'ts to consider before going to bed.
- Read a book
- Listen to soothing music
- Take a shower
- Drink a glass of warm milk
- Indulge in aromatherapy
- Try rhythmic breathing
- Keep the room cool, dark and quiet
- Try meditation
- Try bedtime stretches
- Avoid blue lights
- Don't consume alcohol
- Avoid caffeine
- Avoid using mobile phones
- Avoid napping during the day
- Avoid noise and other disturbances
- Avoid eating before going to bed
- Don't drink water just before going to
Good sleep is essential for a healthy mind and body. It will help you keep away from grumpy mornings. It can keep you away from various diseases like obesity, heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Some people tend to take medications to get good sleep. But, these medicines can have side effects, including dizziness, obesity, change in appetite, drowsiness, headaches, cramping, dry mouth, and even bad dreams. Instead of relying on drugs, create a comfortable sleep sanctuary for the sleep you deserve.
If after trying all the above suggestions you still face difficulties in sleeping, don’t shy away from getting professional help by consulting your doctor at the earliest.