How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain?
Back pain that occurs due to sleeping on a mattress not suitable for your body-type is a fairly regular concern amongst countless youngsters and adults. The pain is often experienced in the lower back region but in some instances, it is felt even in the neck region. Such acute pain could be due to maintaining a bad posture for long hours while sleeping. Poor sleeping posture strains your muscles and doesn’t help keep the spine in a favourable position and eventually contributes to low back pain.
The best solution for this pain is to find yourself the right orthopedic mattress that could ease your back pain by giving adequate support to your spine and allow the structures to rest and rejuvenate during the night. Choosing the right mattress will keep away such back pain concerns. But with the extensive range of mattresses available in the market, choosing the right one can be difficult. Here are some essential tips that will help you pick the right mattress to address your back pain concerns:
- Look for a mattress with back support: A great orthopedic mattress must offer support to the alignment and natural curves of the spine. The correct amount of back support prevents muscle soreness when you wake up in the morning.
- Buy a new mattress once the old one starts to show signs of wear: If your old orthopedic mattress starts to show signs of sagging in the middle or if it is no longer comfortable, it is perhaps time to buy a new mattress. Placing sheets under a slumping mattress to keep it from sagging is just a stop-gap arrangement, a new mattress is still required.
- Your personal choice must eventually establish the best orthopedic mattress: There is no particular orthopedic mattress that has the same effect for all individuals suffering from low back pain. Any orthopedic mattress that helps a person sleep without experiencing stiffness and pain is the best mattress for that person. Persons with low back pain must opt for an orthopedic mattress that fulfils their level of support and comfort and lets them have a restful night’s sleep.
- Attain a balance between comfort and back support: In addition to sufficient back support while sleeping, general comfort on the orthopedic mattress is just as important. Sleeping on an excessively firm mattress can trigger aches on pressure points. A medium-firm mattress will be more relaxing as it lets your hips and shoulders sink in marginally. People who wish to have a firmer mattress for their spine can buy one with a mattress topper for more comfort.
- Ask about the key components of the mattress: The inner springs or coils of an orthopedic mattress offer support. Distinct mattresses differ in their arrangement and number of coils. Cushioning on top comes in several different depths. Mattress thicknesses usually range from 7 to 18 inches. Deciding on the kind of padding, the number of coils and mattress depth must be ascertained by individual choices.
- Deliberate on the quality and best value of the mattress: Mattresses with heavier cushioning and several coils are of better quality and are available at a higher price. But a higher cost is not an assurance of the mattress being more supportive of your back. With most brands offering promotional deals, it makes sense to compare the major features and prices after finding the right mattress.
- Buy mattresses from trustworthy brands. Take into account the customer service extended by the brands, such as warranty, delivery options, return policy, and whether they have an exchange offer. Look for brands where customers can return a product if they are not pleased with the comfort or quality after sleeping on it for a period of time. Also, consider brands having several years of expertise along with a history of extensive research & innovation and which comes with a recommendation of doctors.
Key Components of a Good Mattress
The following parts of a mattress play a key role in determining the quality of a mattress:
A box spring or a mattress foundation adds an extra layer of support to the orthopedic mattress. A foundation offers sufficient support to withstand body weight and distributes the pressure on your body evenly.
Mattress ticking and quilting
There is ticking in the outer layer of a mattress, which is normally made of a cotton-polyester blend or polyester in a mattress of good quality. The quilting of a mattress binds the ticking to the top layers of the padding. Before you purchase an orthopedic mattress, it is advisable to assess the quality of the stitching on the quilting and make sure that it has consistent, continuous stitches.
Mattress cushioning offers comfort
Apart from the spring coils in a mattress, the cushioning on top of the mattress can reveal its quality. Mattress cushioning is typically made of puffed-up polyester, cotton batting or polyurethane foam. Extensive mattress cushioning is more expensive, but several people find it more comfortable and supportive to the back and worth the additional cost.
Mattress springs and coils offer back support
Coil wire comes in a variety of thicknesses, and a lower gauge number signifies heavier, harder wire and a firmer mattress. A greater intensity of steel coils may imply a superior quality mattress, but this does not indicate that the mattress with the highest number is the best. You must use your own judgment concerning which mattress is appropriate to offer support and help relieve low back pain.
If you are thinking of purchasing a high-grade orthopedic mattress, Duroflex Back Magic Mattress is a good option. This mattress is available at a price below ₹20000. It has the following benefits:
- The mattress has high-density coir and rebonded foam to support your back properly and will relieve your back pain.
- The 5-zoned orthopedic coir technology has been examined and approved by the experts of the National Health Academy.
- The woven and knitted fabric form the cover of the mattress.
A mattress is a major investment that can impact your spine and sleep quality, so take your time to select the mattress that is right for you.