A great sleep ensures a great start to a day. And what better way to get that sleep than with a comfy bed? A significant piece of furniture that provides you with comfort and relaxation needs to be selected properly. Selecting the right bed style is crucial as it complements your home décor and reflects your personal taste. Read this article to learn everything about different bed styles that you can get to embellish your home décor!
In this article, explore the various advantages and disadvantages of different bed styles available in the market so you can decide to select the best bed that will match your lifestyle and aesthetic preferences. Let’s deep dive, explore the world of bed styles, and discover the best one for you!
Different Bed Styles
There is a wide range of bed styles available nowadays, which makes it difficult to select the best one from so many options, and hence it’s crucial to understand which bed style will suit your needs. You need to select the best bed style according to your aesthetic preferences, home décor, and budget. Here are a few bed styles that you can take a look at:
A modern style bed, without any doubt, ditches traditional box springs or foundations and tries to incorporate a low-profile platform or base for more comfort. The materials used to build the platform may range from wood and metal to other materials, and it directly supports the mattress, so it needs to be firm and strong. Following are some advantages and disadvantages of platform beds:
- Low profile design: With their modern bed styles and sleek design, the low profile of platform beds successfully creates a look that makes your bedroom feel more spacious and airy.
- No need for a box spring: Platform beds do not require a box spring or foundation, which makes it inexpensive and reduces the overall height of the bed at the same time.
- Good support: Platform beds provide excellent support for your mattress, thus providing you with great comfort as they distribute the weight evenly across the platform, helping to prevent sagging and extending your mattress's lifespan.
- Extra storage space: Many platform beds come with built-in drawers or shelving, which can act as a cherry on the cake as they provide extra storage space in your bedroom.
- Lower height: The low profile of platform beds sometimes act as compact furniture but may make it more difficult for some people with mobility issues to get in and out of bed.
- May require special bedding: As platform beds do not use a traditional box spring or foundation, you ought to purchase a special type of bedding designed to fit the dimensions of the platform perfectly. And this takes more effort than usual.
- Can be more difficult to assemble: Some platform beds can be more challenging to assemble than traditional bed frames, especially those with built-in storage.
If you want a traditional design that complements your luxurious bedroom, then go for canopy beds. It features a decorative frame or canopy that gives a historical feel to your room. It creates a safe space with a sheltered sleeping area with the canopy fixed over it. Canopy beds have 4 poles attached to four corners that support a canopy or host a curtain that drapes over the bed. These come in a wide range of materials like wood, metal, or even fabric. Here are a few advantages and disadvantages of canopy beds:
- Aesthetic appeal: Canopy beds come with a luxurious feel and elegant touch, adding a sense of sophistication to any bedroom.
- Privacy: The canopy encourages the feeling of privacy, which can be especially beneficial if you have a shared room or a large bedroom where privacy is crucial.
- Comfort: The canopy is the piece of furniture that helps create a cozy sleeping environment, making it ideal for you to take a good nap even if you live in colder climates.
- Versatility: Canopy beds have a variety of styles and designs for you to choose from, making them versatile.
- Size: Canopy beds are larger in size and bulkier than traditional beds; thus are not suitable for smaller bedrooms with less space.
- Maintenance: Canopy beds demand regular maintenance to complement your luxurious décor. The fabric canopy needs to be kept clean, and the frame must be periodically painted to keep looking the best.
- Cost: Canopy beds offer a luxury feel at a high price which is more than traditional beds.
- The difficulty of assembly: Canopy beds are not easy to assemble and may require professional installation, which further adds to the cost.
As the name suggests, these beds are primarily designed keeping in mind the storage needs. Thus, if you need a lot of extra storage in your bedrooms, you should go for storage beds. Featuring built-in compartments, these beds are suitable to store clothes, linens, and many other items. These have different bed styles with various materials and sizes, so you can choose the best one that completes your storage needs. Some advantages and disadvantages of storage beds are as follows:
- Additional storage space: The greatest advantage of storage beds is that we get additional storage space in our bedrooms, which is very useful if we have smaller rooms.
- Convenience: Storage beds help you to keep your items safe as you store them right under your bed, making them safe and accessible whenever you need them.
- Stylish bed: Storage beds come in a wide variety of styles with different materials, so you could get yourself a modern design with great comfort that matches your bedroom decor.
- Space-saving: Storage beds completely eliminate the need for separate cupboards, thus helping you save money and save space at the same time.
- Cost: Storage beds use good quality materials to give you a strong bed with the strength to hold the extra storage. And this makes it more expensive than regular beds.
- Weight: Storage beds built with strong wooden material are usually heavier than regular beds due to the extra components, which make them extremely difficult to move or transport.
- Assembly: Some storage beds host additional components which makes it more difficult to assemble than regular beds, thus requiring more time and effort.
- Limited storage space: Storage beds do provide additional storage space but block a lot of bedroom space due to their large size and a number of drawers or compartments included.
Bunk beds are the most popular choice for children's bedrooms and most suitable for guest rooms, as they provide an economical and space-saving solution. These beds mostly feature two or more beds and a ladder with access to the top bunk as they are stacked on top of each other. If you have more than one child and are looking for a space-saving option, then go with bunk beds. These beds come in different styles built with a wide variety of materials, including wood or metal. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of bunk beds:
- Space-saving: A bunk bed is the only type of bed that helps you save floor space and maximize your living space by accommodating more people in smaller bedrooms.
- Cost-effective: Bunk beds can be a more affordable option when buying them for guests and children.
- Fun for kids: Children love sleeping in bunk beds with their siblings as they find it fun to have their own room to do stuff like their own private fort or clubhouse.
- Easy to assemble: Bunk beds are the easiest to assemble and disassemble, making them the best option for people who are mostly on the move due to work.
- Versatile: Bunk beds are available in a variety of styles and sizes, so you can get the best bunk bed to suit your space and design aesthetic.
- Safety concerns: Bunk beds may not be entirely safe as children might fall from the top bunk, thus making them unsuitable for very young children.
- Limited headroom: The top bunk often has less headspace as it's closer to the bedroom's ceiling, thus limiting the amount of headroom available.
- No privacy: Bunk beds have no such thing as privacy, making them unsuitable for teenagers or adults.
- Difficulty in changing sheets: Changing the top bunk’s sheets can be a challenging task because of its height.
Whether you are looking for a modernized platform bed, a luxurious canopy bed, a storage-providing storage bed, or a fun bunk bed, there is a bed style for all your needs. Selecting the right bed style for your home is a crucial decision, as it affects your comfort, space, and overall aesthetic. Your bed should reflect your personal thoughts and complement your room décor as you buy it once in many years. Each bed style comes with its unique advantages and disadvantages, and you should keep your personal preferences, budget, and space limitations on top of mind when making your decision. For stylish bed price comparisons and purchase options, you should consider checking out Duroflex.