6 Surprising Benefits of Using a Firm Mattress
Today, there’s a renewed focus on overall wellbeing and a healthy lifestyle. However, good sleep, which is an important element of good health, is often neglected. Your mattresses and pillows have an important role to play for good sleep. When it comes to mattresses, a one size fits all approach doesn’t work, and that is why a mattress that is popular among your near and dear ones may not be an ideal choice for you. It may seem counterintuitive, but sometimes a firm mattress may prove more comfortable than a soft mattress. A firm mattress provides the right support, hence relieving discomfort, and inducing good sleep after a tough day at work. Firm mattresses provide excellent support, are appropriate to most sleeping positions and offer comfort to your spine and joints. Of course, before you make the switch, you must know the benefits of a firm mattress. Here are the details:
- Supports your back and eliminates pain: Your spine gains the most with a firm mattress. The mattress supports the natural curves of your spine and keeps it in a neutral position that gives relief to your back while you sleep through the night.
- Less motion transfer: If your mattress is too soft, you might often find yourself tossing and turning to find a comfortable position. This in turn may cause a lot of disturbance to the other person who shares the bed. A firm mattress provides the right kind of support reducing the toss and turn. It also cuts off motion, to give you a restful sleep. Memory foam mattresses or firm mattresses with a pocket spring base are good at curbing motion transfer.
- Offers health benefits: Eight hours of uninterrupted sleep is important for our body to rejuvenate and repair itself. While we sleep, cells are re-established in the body and hormones are activated. This is why proper sleep is critical to maintaining good health. With a firm mattress, you will sleep peacefully.
- Easily accommodates people with multiple sleep styles: A firm mattress can fulfil the sleeping requirements of several types of sleepers such as back and stomach sleepers. People who prefer sleeping on their back often find a firm mattress more comfortable than a soft mattress. This happens because a soft mattress triggers pain in your lower back as it leaves a gap between the mattress and the lower lumbar region.
- Uniform weight distribution: Your body weight is not equally distributed on a soft mattress, leading to an inadequate alignment of your muscles and joints. In contrast, a firm mattress offers sufficient support to the entire body and distributes your weight uniformly. This helps your body relax and recharge so you can rise up with more vigour the next day. To test the firmness of a mattress, you can just sit on it, and if you find it difficult to get up, the mattress is too soft.
- Firm mattresses deter bed sores: A firm mattress is known to relieve pressure points which in turn wards off bed sores. When the weight is uniformly distributed, less stress will be applied to your pressure points causing the body to uncoil and rest more naturally.
By taking into consideration the points mentioned above, you must purchase a firm mattress that feels right for your body. But keep in mind that the mattress you choose is not too firm and uncomfortable. Opt for a product that offers you adequate support in a neutral position and use bedding materials that will support your back and the rest of your body. Duroflex offers a wide range of firm mattresses that provides a higher degree of back support. Our mattresses are tested and recommended by doctors at the National Health Academy, making it among India's best mattresses.